We use cookies

In accordance with EU guidelines be advised of the following.

This blogger page uses cookies if you do not agree with this policy please leave this page and clear you cookie cache. By joining, reading articles or otherwise interacting with this blog you give explicit consent to the use of cookies.



You can view any page on this blog in your language of choice, simply choose your preference from the drop-down list on the right hand side.



Monday 23 January 2017

My favorite anime's of 2016 well sort of, Part 1

 So by now you know I often have little quirks in my titles for a post, this one as you can see is no different what can I say I like it. So why the " sort of  " well simple really not all the shows I am going to mention actually originally aired in 2016. Everyone and their cat does a Top 10 anime of whatever year it is, I did not want to do that, for a few reasons. One there is well so many of them why just make another one, also there is numerous people far more qualified too make those lists., so I will leave it to them.  Secondly they tend to often just be nothing more then whatever was the most popular that year, aka SAO is the best anime ever created by man in x-year type thing.

 For me at least a lot of those series just don't move me like they seem to do for millions of fans around the world, I have no interest in One Piece, Dragon Ball Z, etc, etc. Also hopefully you will find one or two I am going to mention you may not have watched, or perhaps knew of before.
 So without further delay here are just 10 maybe more anime I watched in 2016 that stuck with me the most, they may not even have been originally aired in 2016 it's just that is when I watched them.    
 This is not a ranked list so don't read anything into where they appear,  I could list a anime near the end could well have been my favorite of 2016 so now you know. Going to split this up into two maybe three parts otherwise it will be TL:DR we'll see how it plays out after this one. I will try list if it is subbed, dubbed or both and where I watched it, where you decide too watch it is up to you. If an anime has both subbed and dubbed versions available, you can assume I watched it subbed unless otherwise noted.

1) First up is well frankly one funny as hell anime I cam across one evening when I was bored, boy was I glad I did it is Squid Girl: the invader from the sea. Originally airing in 2010 it spans 24 episodes plus 2 OVA's and is a SOL/Comedy, and it is damn funny. Squid Girl takes it upon herself to come out of the ocean to invade the land and try to save her underwater world from the ravages of human garbage dumping in the sea. Of course this does not exactly go as planned as she ends up damaging a cafĂ©, and one of the owners with a scary side makes her work as a waitress to pay off the damages. From there on out the comedy ensues along with some very touching moments just to break up the comedy. (Subbed-Crunchyroll)

 2) Next up I came across a anime from 2005 called Solty Rei and it spans 26 eps in total, in all honesty they could have made 126 and I would have been glad, I will quote Funimation's website for this one as they sum it up quite nicely
" Countless were killed in the unexplained Blast Fall, and those left maimed—the Resembles—had their bodies rebuilt with high-tech prosthetic devices. Bounty hunter Roy Revant was sure he’d seen everything the broken city had to offer—until the day a strange little girl named Solty fell from the sky. Roy and Solty may seek different things, but who wants to search for truth alone? "

 There is some really funny moments, some really sad moments and I cried numerous times watching this series. Roy has a darkside he holds a lot of pain inside of him because of the  "Blast Fall" and lost everything he loved, this has made him into a very bitter man who cares for nothing. He also has no time for others let alone what he perceives as a robot, despite her having feelings and a conscience, I won't spoil it by saying anything else about the story. I will just say this the voice acting is top notch, as is the animation for 2005, I enjoyed it so much I bought the boxed set of the series.
(Dubbed-Funimation)

3)
For the next one something that started in the late Winter season of 2015 and ended in 2016, see not all of my suggestions are 10 yrs old. Dimension W shares a cpl of things in common with Solty Rei, in that it features a somewhat Grumpy old guy, and a Female Android type character. Like Roy from Solty Rei the main male character Kyouma diss-likes and distrusts anything to do with Coils and technology, a mysterious device allowing to tap into the power of Dimension W.
 He is a hunter/collectors of Coils and redeems them for money, not the most enjoyable thing buy hey it pays the bills. Kyouma is old school in a time of Coil powered everything he refuses Coils and still drives a old Gasoline powered clunker. Long story short one recovery job has him running into Mira a Android who is related to the creator of Coil technology, you know where this is going. I will end it there so you can discover the rest for yourself should you care to watch it, which I highly suggest you do, it is short only 12 eps so can be binge watched in a weekend. (Funimation-Dubbed and Subbed versions)

4) Okay I am not going to tell you anything about this one because frankly I can not do it justice with words, it is that wonderful a series. Originally airing from Oct/2014 thru March of 2015 Your lie in April is something that just has to be experienced, all I will say is make sure you have lots of Kleenex handy as you are going to need them, and that Opposites truly do attract. I have watched this anime three times since first watching it in February 2016, it is just that beautiful and we need more series like this.
(Crunchyroll both subbed and dubbed versions available)

5) For this one going to something that actually did air in July-Sept 2016 and I watched it weekly as it aired and that is New Game. A High School graduate Aoba Suzukaze is a gamer she is also such a fan of a particular game she learns Game Development. Upon graduation she gets her dream job not only is she hired by a game developer, it is the same developer who made her favorite game. She gets to meet her idols if you will but they are not what she was expecting, from there the comedy and the fanservice abounds.
 While we have only got the first season (12 eps) so far there is a second season that's been announced, also a visual novel game based on the anime releasing end of January 2017 in Japan on Ps4. There is also a manga that has been in print since 2013 and the series continues to this day.
(Crunchyroll-Subbed)


That will do it for part one not sure how many parts there will be but we will see, probably 3 but I want to limit it to ones that stood out to me, I listed all I watched it would be 50 parts and nobody wats that.

What anime stuck out to you in 2016 that you watched fell free to share them in the comments respectfully of course and as always play nice with each other.

David








No comments:

Post a Comment